Tuesday 21 April 2020

Grateful through, even if not for, the pandemic (Day 10 of 10 Days of Gratitude)




Grateful for a pandemic?

No.  There is too much suffering and too many sorrows for gratitude to be possible.

Grateful through a pandemic?

That's possible.

* * * * *

I was thinking this morning about cocoons, because of the "Rhymes with Oranges" in today's paper.  And how a cacoon is such a wonderful image of what our homes have been -- and might still be, in this time of pandemic.

A cocoon is a safe self-enclosure; we've wanted our homes to be that for us and for our families.

A cocoon is also a place of deep, inner transformation.  And I wonder if our time of solitude and separation from others and from "normal life" has also been that?


A cocoon is a pretty amazing thing.  The time spent in a cocoon is quite miraculous because while there, the pupating caterpillar actually undergoes a change in its genetic structure and identity ...




... that transforms it from creepy, fuzzy, voracious caterpillar to gracefully-winged, multi-hued butterfly.

It seems there are genes shaping and determining the creature to be a caterpillar that in its first stage of life are dominant, and that during the time in the cocoon begin to recede, fade and even disappear ... with totally other genes at that point coming to the fore and becoming dominant, that shape the creature now into something different than before -- a butterfly.

And if you compare the genetic DNA of the caterpillar and of the butterfly, they really seem two different creatures.  A different creature coming out than went in. 

The image of cocoon makes me wonder if now might be the time to reflect on a few spiritual questions, before we start focussing on easing the social distancing and restrictions, returning to "normal," and losing whatever spiritual change and growth may have been going on inside us during this time.

Spiritual questions like:

  • during this time of social distancing and solitude what have I not been doing that I normally did --even spent a lot of time doing?  What has my life been like without it?  What has taken its place?  What do I want to spend my time doing, when this time is over?
  • during this time of social distancing and solitude what have I learned or come to see differently about myself and about others?  How have my relationships changed?  What changes do I not want to lose, and want to build on instead?
  • during this time of social distancing and solitude what has fed me, comforted me, and helped me grow spiritually closer to God and to my Higher Self?  Helped me be content in myself, grateful in my life, and open to others?  How can I keep growing in this way? 

* * * * *

For myself, I think I have a few answers already. 

One of them is the way I have had to learn to accept more deeply that I cannot fix everything and make everything better.

Not because of the pandemic itself; I think I always accepted that there are big things beyond my control in the world.  But because of the change the pandemic has made to what happens more personally when Japhia is in the hospital (as she is again now).

Before, when Japhia was in the hospital, I'd be there as much as I could be to comfort and support, to listen to what the nurses and doctors say, to figure things out, to work out strategies and solutions, and so on.  In other words, to be in control of what could be known and what could be done.  To be the Answer-Man.

Now, having to stay at home while she is in the hospital I've had to let go of that role and responsibility, and learn a humbler, more human and more honest identity.  Learn to offer care and support from a distance.  Accept not being in charge and in control of all the actions and outcomes.  To trust what she and others know, figure out, understand and are able to do.  As well as accept and live with what any and all of us are not able to know, figure out, understand and do.

It's a view of myself, others and God, and an acceptance of powerlessness and limitation that I think makes me a more whole and honest human being.  And the spiritual task, once this time of pandemic is over, is to find ways of not just going back to what was.  Of not just returning to "normal."

I'm grateful for that growth, even though it's come in a way neither Japhia nor I would ever have chosen.  And I've no doubt this is just scraping the surface of where those three sets of spiritual questions might lead me, once I take time really to sit with them in this still-cocooned time.

* * * * *

And I know others also have experienced this difficult and challenging time as a time of spiritual growth and enlightenment. 

My son, whose humane agnosticism I often share, texted this, this morning:

Over the last few weeks I've learned that as much as I'm agnostic, I truly am a humanist.  There is so much room for love among humans and with it, so much power.  All this COVID distancing and doing for others reinforces in me that people are inherently good, and want to spread love in whatever capacity they can.

That being said, there are still a bunch of selfish sh**heads out there, but I think they  just haven't experienced love in a genuine way.

[Preach it, brother!, texted I.]

If I had to be a "minister," [he replied,] that's the exact message I would preach.  There's a reason the golden rule is in all religions.

Do unto others, and when you have the power to do for others what they can't, it's your duty to at least try.

* * * * * 

Grateful for a pandemic?

No.  There is too much suffering and too many sorrows for gratitude to be possible.

Grateful through a pandemic?

That's possible.

Because maybe whatever nourishes growth in us and enlightenment among us is, in the long run more life-renewing and soul-transforming for us, than the things we more superficially call "good" or "bad" based on how they strike us in the moment, and align or not with our (usually self-centred?) desires.

Even a pandemic -- if we let it be, and if we are open to it -- can be an occasion for the kind of transformation of our spiritual DNA that the graciously-winged, multi-hued butterfly in us yearns for.


The butterfly images are courtesy of Dr. Ed Aitken, long-time friend and member of Fifty United, whom I have also had the great pleasure of being befriended by.



1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of Japhia's return to the hospital. I am certain that as these times are increasing everyone's stress it is increasing Japhia's even unwillingly, which in turn effects her symptoms. Praying the coming of spring and more sunshine and warmer weather rejuvenates us all with positive belief in the future and hope's to slowly begin to re open our world just as the emerging butterfly. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete