Wednesday 25 March 2020

Living in the Web .. old-school style (Day 2 of 10 Days of Gratitude)


Today is my sister Valerie's birthday.  Happy birthday, Val!

I have to send a card.  (Yes, I know I'm late!  You think I don't know that?)

But I didn't know their mailing address.  I know where their house is and how to get there, but can't visualize the number by the front door.

Google it?  Call and ask for her husband Jim, so I don't have to admit to Val in person how late her card will be?

Normally we get together for an evening of birthday appetizers and euchre, and the card is hand-presented.  A wonderful system that's worked for decades.

So with the breakdown of what we're used to, I revert to what used to be.  The even older system.  I phone my other sister Carol to get Val's address.

As kids it was Carol who always knew our parents' birthdays and anniversaries, would buy the card, and bring it to Val and I to sign.  As we grew older and moved out and on it was Carol who without fail would remember the day and send a card well in advance.  Also Carol who kept a list of special days for all the aunts and uncles and cousins all over the country.

Well before the Web, Carol was the family spider spinning faithful lines of caring connection among us all.

I obviously was not as good at it, nor committed to it.  At times even resistant to it.  At other times, just forgetful about it.

But I'm grateful the web still holds.  That this old-school network of family connectedness and care has withstood the tests of time.

Now that I have the address, as soon as I get it in the mail, and then a little after that, Val will know I remembered to buy her a card.

Two, in fact.

Because I'm grateful.

(And ... there goes the suspense and surprise for Valerie!  Good thing she loves me.  Which I am also grateful for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment